16 January 2011

5k Results

Photo credit: Melissa Hennrick

Remember when I said I had registered for a 5k? Well I ran it. It was back in October. I was hoping to finish it 35 minutes, but I managed 35:25, so I was happy with that. I'm not really a runner, so I was just proud to finish without walking. It was fun that the run took place the day before Halloween, because lots of people wore costumes. Taking part in the Tulsa Run really was an amazing experience, especially at the starting line. Hundreds (thousands?) of runners of all ages and abilities were lined up. When the gun went off the masses started moving, but it was more than a minute before I ever crossed the starting line. I started out about mid-pack and it was so neat when we'd be approaching a hill and I could see the hundreds of people running in front of me, knowing that there were just as many behind me. I was very proud to be a part of it; it was inspiring. One of the biggest highlights for me was the mariachi band playing on the corner at mile 1.






After the run, we went to a satellite viewing location for the Daily Show's Rally to Restore Sanity. It was a small crowd, but it was nice to be among some like-minded folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment